Instapaper 1.3 submitted to App Store
It will probably be available within a week.
New in Instapaper 1.3 (Free and Pro)
- Continuous updating: Articles are now downloaded one-at-a-time until there aren’t any more. No more “Update again for more…”.
- Text-only option: Dramatically improves update speed by downloading only text versions. This is the new default, since the speed improvement is so huge and most users only use the text version. You can change it in the Settings screen.
- Slightly larger default font in articles.
- Smaller font in title screen to fit more characters.
- Bugfix: Rotation no longer resets the scroll position to the top. Sorry about that.
- Many minor interface behavior improvements.
- Instapaper now crashes less frequently when reading large pages. The root of the problem is a memory leak in Apple’s WebKit component, and the same problem plagues Mobile Safari, but I’m working around it as much as possible. I feel your pain on this, and I appreciate your patience as Apple and I find solutions.
New in Instapaper Pro 1.3
In addition to the updates above, Instapaper Pro customers receive additional improvements for version 1.3:
- Tilt scrolling: Now much smoother, works in landscape orientation, and shows position indicator.
- Dark interface mode: Upgraded the previous “white text on black background” mode to an optional dark mode for the entire interface. Great for reading at night.
- New font picker: Now with a live preview and far more available sizes. In the Settings screen.
- Larger reading area: The top bar has been removed from the reading view, increasing the reading area by 12%.
- Disable-rotation option: In the Settings screen.
- Text zooming in Web view now goes to 500%.
Thank you to all of my customers so far. Your enthusiasm is encouraging, and your feedback is invaluable.
This is only the beginning for Instapaper. There’s a large roadmap of great features and improvements planned for the website and iPhone app over the next few months.
Thank you for your support.