The easiest, most useful way to get an article into Instapaper is using a browser extension. If you use the Chrome browser, for example, you can install the Instapaper browser extension, and then all you have to do is click the “I” button whenever you’re looking at an article you’d like to read later in Instapaper.
Easy, huh? But wait: There’s more!
In our last Chrome extension blog post, we promised to roll out more features in the coming months. Well, we just shipped the update!
- Added “Save to Instapaper” to the right-click menu to save a page or a link. Now you can right-click on any link, and immediately save that link to Instapaper.
- Created a keyboard shortcut to save the article you’re looking at. In Mac OS X, the shortcut is Cmd+Shift+S. In Windows, it’s Ctrl+Shift+S.
- Added “Save to Instapaper” buttons directly into Twitter, Reddit, Hacker News, and USV, when you go to one of those sites in your Chrome browser. Alongside each Tweet, Reddit story, Hacker News item, or USV post, you’ll now find an inline Instapaper button.
- Built an Instapaper options page where can you toggle the keyboard shortcut and inline saving buttons for Twitter, Reddit, Hacker News, and USV. You can access this page by right clicking the Instapaper icon and selecting “Options”.
- Enabled highlighting for article descriptions. Simply highlight a key chunk of text, right-click it and choose “Save to Instapaper” from the right-click menu, and your selection will be the Instapaper description for the article.
- If you’ve logged into Chrome using one of your Google accounts, the extension will sync your Instapaper preferences across all of your other logged-in Chrome browsers.
Here’s what’s next on the roadmap for extensions:
- Bringing the Safari extension up to speed with the Chrome extension.
- The option to close a tab automatically after saving to Instapaper.
- The option to save an article directly to an Instapaper folder, using your right-click menu.
- A customizable keyboard shortcut for saving an article.
The Chrome extension will auto-update, but if you haven’t downloaded it already you can grab it here. Let us know if you have any other feature requests in the comments!